What to do when you don’t know what to do
What do you do when you don’t know what to do next?
The short and pithy answer is to sit with your shit and stew on it.
While brooding and thinking can prove effective for sorting out existential crises, it leaves much to be desired in terms of distilled action steps.
Solving a problem or figuring out what to do is relatively easy.
Plotting your next moves and actually moving forward so you break out of the shit is a different bag of beans.
I have a solution that’s worked for me on a number of occasions now.
I’ll keep it simple.
When you don’t know what to do next, do this:
1. Do not force action. Take it as it comes, and spend more of your time thinking.
2. Stimulate creativity and deep thinking. I do this by walking, practicing yoga, taking long showers, and mixing in occasional use of psychedelics (the common denominator being solitary time to think sans distraction)
3. Write everything down. The amount of thoughts and ideas we humans forget in the course of a day is absurd. Keep a note on your phone or carry a small notepad exclusively for ideas.
4. As you draw conclusions, run them by those closest to you. Gather feedback, opinions, and reactions. Asking for help is okay. Hard to do, but okay.
5. Re-evaluate and audit everything you’re currently doing, and your missions. Ensure they STILL align with your thoughts, actions, and decisions (and vice versa). If there’s a disconnect somewhere, fix it.
6. As you refocus, write down what you want to accomplish in a) the next 3 months b) the next 6-8 months) and c) the next 18 months.
Ensure that each 3 month goal feeds into your 6-8 month targets, then into your long-term missions.
This is how you reverse-engineer your shit, start making progress again, and figure out what to do when you don’t know what to do next.
This is actionable advice that WILL improve your life if you apply it.
Now go apply it.
For workbook exercises, more on the “how-to,” and actionable advice tailored towards helping you live on your own terms, build a business that supports your missions, and funds your capers, click the link below to add your name to the Sorcerers Guild print newsletter pre-sale list:
(Note: clicking the link above will automatically add your name to the Sorcerers Guild pre-sale list, take you to a clip from Rick & Morty, the greatest animated show of all time, and allow you to gain access to the Sorcerers Guild launch special 24 hours before anyone else on this list or my social media channels does)